Scanline VFX senior modeler Erik Lehmann has released RS Shader Kit 2.0, the latest version of his Maya add-on intended to provide a more streamlined alternative to the software’s Hypershade interface.
The release overhauls Shader Kit’s design and makes “a lot of quality-of-life improvements”.
A fast, intuitive, screen-space-efficient alternative to Maya’s Hypershade
Described by Lehmann as a “fast and compact shader management replacement for the Hypershade interface”, RS Shader Kit – also known simply as Shader Kit – is intended to streamline shading work in Maya.
As well as providing a more powerful and intuitive alternative to the Hypershade window, the software ships with a utility to fix common Maya shading issues, shown at 02:10 in the video above.
New in version 2.0: better options for sorting and searching shaders
There doesn’t seem to be an online changelog for RS Shader Kit 2.0, so below, we’ve reproduced the full list of new features in the latest version from Lehman’s email:
- Compact interface with custom icons
- Togglable tool settings for a minimal workspace footprint
- Introduced Modifier shortcuts for a faster workflow
- Sort manually – Move Shaders up and down with arrow keys
- You can now resize the Shader List
- Powerful Label system to easily filter or sort by label color
- Search function to find Shaders more comfortably
- Sort list by name
- Option to save & load Shader lists
- Improved Create Menu / Create Menu Settings
- Create Menu selection is now remembered and allows for repeat Shader creation
- Create Menu Settings will now be saved as a new default and are available upon tool startup
- Render Engine Support: Maya, Arnold, Redshift, VRay
- Create keyboard shortcut to launch the tool with a hotkey
- Get Shader from selected object and select it in your list
- Material IDs – choose between Lambert and Surface Shader
- Graph materials from object / Add / Remove / list connections
- Assign Shader to Faces
Pricing and system requirements
RS Shader Kit 2.0 is available for Maya 2018+ on Windows, Linux and macOS. It is compatible with the Arnold, Redshift and V-Ray renderers. A single licence costs $10; a Studio licence costs $500.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,